This assignment was unlike anything I've ever done before. Speaking to these five individuals from all over the country was a big eye opener. They are all in emotional and physical pain on a daily basis.
From each of their stories about their journey with IBS, I took what was most important or stood out most to me, and decided to created one story, while describing the different stages of IBS. Below are short summaries of each stage, however I have also attached full summaries under each individual painting to give you a more detailed look into their lives
1) "TRAPPED." A bright, happy and free life, transitioning into living a more dark and secluded one, due to suddenly feeling ill
2) "AHA!" Describing your symptoms to doctors and the struggle of correctly identifying your diagnosis
3) "UNDERWAY." Living with the physical pain, never knowing when it will occur or how bad it will be
4) "FINDING THE GOOD." With this diagnosis, figuring out what does and doesn't help you feel some relief. Also trying to see IBS as a teacher, rather than as a devil
5) "MY NEW NORMAL." Realizing this is a chronic illness that may be with you your whole life, while trying to put on a happy face through the pain and suffering